Monday, November 15, 2010

Cry Baby

After dropping the kids off at school today, as it was my day off, I had my list of things that needed to get done.  Where would I be without those lists?  So once the glass-smith (is that what you call them?) had arrived to pick up the kitchen cupboard door to be fixed, I gathered all the kids library books together (no small mission) and headed to the public library.  Usually, I would have just dropped the books in the returns slot but I wanted to go in to convince them to purchase a book, that I am too cheap to buy myself.  I do love reading autobiographies and found this book that really appealed to me and got excellent reviews.  Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: a Memoir has recently been released in the US but I haven't been able to find it here.

Anyway, as is usual for me whenever I go into a library, I can't help having a look around.  I picked some random book off the shelf, sat down at a table and quickly became engrossed in it.  I was vaguely aware of the mother and her baby looking at books in the same area only really because the baby was crying a little.  Not one of those loud high pitched piercing crys of a sick baby but the heartwarming soft cry of a new born baby.  I know all you mothers will know what I'm talking about here.  The cry that brings a smile to your face and makes you go "oowwww'.  So, I had that 'owwww' moment in the library as I tried for a few seconds to remember back to my own children's tiny soft sounds which were lost a lifetime ago.  Oh, how I miss that quiet baby cry.

However, why I was distracted in thought, to my horror, a rather determined looking man stormed over to this woman and barked, "If your baby is going to cry, please take them out of the library as it disturbs people".  Of course, I was somewhat bewildered, as this woman and I were the only ones who were in the area until he just arrived.  The poor woman looked as she was going to burst into tears as she proceeded to apologise profusely to the man. 

Now, I am usually the sort of person who sits and observes as things unfold before me, but in this instance, I couldn't stay glued to the seat.  I jumped up and said, ever so assertively that I surprised myself,  "I don't have any issues with a crying baby and would love for them to stay.  If you have an issue, it may be best if you are the one who leaves." 

Well, you could have almost heard a pin drop as the man stood speechles looking at me. Then he turned without a word and walked off in a huff.  Which was actually quite good because I have no idea what I would have said next and I could feel that intense pounding of the heart that engulfs me whenever I have to deal with angry or aggressive people.  I was half expecting the librarian or manager to return with him and tell us both to leave the library, but they never did.

The woman was so relieved, she thanked me.  We sat down together and chatted for awhile.  Both of us trying to understand why some people think they have a right to express every thought that pops into their head without any consideration of others feelings.  Turns out this woman had been hiding away at home since the birth of her baby and this was her first outing with her new born after people telling telling her the importance of not isolating away at home.  The poor thing!  On her first outing she encountered a drop kick, and I don't mean me :) 

So, you just never know how your day will turn out and who you will meet along the way.


7 comments:

  1. Well done for sticking up to that man! The poor mum just getting out and about with baby and that happens. I'm so glad you were there to stare him in the face and tell him where to go. I am also one of those people that would usually just observe and see what happens but in this case I think I'd also do just as you have. I am not a mother, but I do have great respect for mothers. That man was out of line. It wasn't a temper tanty cry. It was a cute little quiet baby cry... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, I would have done the same, maybe he needs to go on medication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post ! : ) good on you for speaking up. Just imagine if you hadn't, the Mum would have left the library in a worst state that arriving. Compared to what did happened, I'm sure she left in a better state, after encountering your courage and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your lovely comments. I guess that man triggered something in me that made me react where I would otherwise have just sat and watched the fireworks unfold before me. Yes, I am psychoanalysing myself. Don't ya hate that? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for standing up in support of the mother.

    As a librarian, I know that if an agitated person comes up to the desk demanding other people be removed from the library, it's usually the person doing the asking that needs to be removed. In any case, the librarian always talks to the person doing the asking for quite some time before taking any action - if for no other reason, than to calm the person down. So, the likelihood of you being approached by library staff in that situation is pretty minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Castorgirl I appreciate your view. It's great having people from different backgrounds following my blog because it's so lovely to hear different perspectives. It could of been the man was stressed himself and came to the library for some peace and quiet. The baby may have just been the straw that broke the camels back for him. You can just never know what is going on for people at any given time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's often the case Alex; that's why the first option for the librarian is to talk to the person who approaches them. I talked to a very agitated person last Thursday for 40 minutes, just calming him down. It worked for him, but I was a mess by the end of it :)

    Libraries tend to be havens for so many people, with different needs and intended uses. It can be difficult juggling them all while keeping everyone safe. We tend to know where all the quiet places are, so often redirect the stressed there.

    I have also been known to go "tell off" a mother with a young baby, by going and talking to her about how gorgeous her baby is :) Possibly not the most honest response, but it helped both parties at the time.

    ReplyDelete